Radio Broadcast Console
Compact - intuitive - automagic. The crystal success story continues: after more than 1,000 installations in radio facilities and small broadcast applications, SNG and ENG vans, and TV production suites, Lawo has developed a yet more powerful crystal console. The cost-effective entry point into the Lawo world of mixing offers all of the flexibility and customizability for which Lawo is renowned, and provides a future-proof investment for both commercial and public broadcasters. With crystal, RAVENNA / AES67 compatibility is available today. Smart technology, ready to use.
The new crystal mixing console comes with VisTool, a powerful touchscreen optimized PC software for extended visualization and control of crystal installations. In its basic version, VisTool is designed for clear visualization, while the unlimited version of VisTool can be completely customized to meet any requirements, displaying all parameters or only those that are essential.
Smart technology: ready to use
crystal consoles come fully operational, with a preset that meets the general demands of a wide range of radio applications. In addition, it allows an unparalleled degree of customization, offering a pool of features that is second to none. Being the perfect choice for stand-alone operation as well as for networked environments, crystal ensures maximum efficiency for on-air operation and production in all aspects of everyday work.
Based on feedback from the users of more than 1,000 crystal mixing consoles, the new crystal offers extensive improvements. The console’s user surface is completely re-designed, providing a clear layout in a slim and classy chassis. A new hand rest increases the console’s ergonomics, and the re-designed buttons improve the readibility of their labels. The new preset configuration facilitates quick and easy use, and is the perfect basis for further customization. In addition to other features, crystal provides all fader sources, a general bus configuration, a control room and guest monitoring.
The newly designed crystal base unit features power supply redundancy and optimized expansion slots for even more convenient addition of I/O cards. New functions like the integrated AutoMix and AutoGain provide outstanding ease-of-use, especially to journalists and presenters in self-op situations.
State-of-the-art technology and ultra-slim construction
The crystal console is a genuine eye-catcher in any studio. But it is not just the appearance of the console that is impressive. The build quality and integral attributes of crystal will meet the highest demands – from its superb all-metal case and 100 mm faders with integral dust shield, to its excellent signal processing capabilities.
Ergonomic design for optimal workflow
Apart from its modern appearance and renowned Lawo build quality, crystal will also impress with its outstanding ergonomics. Two high-visibility OLED displays per channel provide an ideal overview. Various functions can also be assigned to multipurpose buttons (e.g. PFL, on/off, start/stop, mute, conference, talkback). Multi-color LEDs indicate different functions by color schemes. In addition, a set of four user buttons on each fader strip can be assigned with dynamic functionality that is labeled in the OLED display.
Even though crystal consoles come with a working preset, they offer a high degree of customization and an unparalleled pool of workflow optimizing functions and features.
The console provides all of the comprehensive functionality found on a conventional mixer, as well as an integrated matrix of up to 288 I/Os. These I/Os can be pre-packaged from a broad range of modules including RAVENNA Audio-over-IP, MADI, AES and Mic/Line.
The control surface is available in variants offering from 4 to 16 faders. All pushbuttons are illuminated with RGB LEDs enabling users to work with color schemes for different functions – e.g. giving every signal processing function its own coloring (blue for EQ, magenta for DYNAMICS, etc.).
Nearly every button on the user interface can be configured to meet the individual requirements. Custom functions can be easily labeled using exchangeable inlays.
The possibilities for system administrators are countless. They range from small n-1 set-ups to a full-blown conference matrix, and from a single control room monitoring to multiple monitoring buses. Or from a few internal console snapshots to unlimited console and channel snapshots in a database, and from a fully accessible console to a restricted user interface defined by user rights management.
Reference Liste crystal
- Control surface variants with up to 16 faders
- Compact design with case height only 35 mm (1.4”)
- Long-life 100 mm faders with dust protection
- OLED displays (160° viewing angle)
- Buttons with multi-color backlight (RGB)
- Ambient light sensor for automatic brightness control
- Fully stand alone operable
- Base unit 19” / 1 RU with control system, signal processing and audio interfaces
- Integrated routing matrix (non-blocking) with up to 288 inputs and 292 outputs
- Active cross ventilation, system-controlled
- Integral wide-ranging power supply 100 – 240 V AC and 12 V DC connection with redundancy switch over
- Up to 24 fader channels with input gain (max. +18 dB) and pan/ balance
- Up to 100 definitions for sources and summing buses;mono or stereo, 5.1 surround
- 16 Equalizers: 3 fully parametric bands and 2 filters (mono or stereo)
- 16 Dynamics units: gate, expander, compressor (mono or stereo)
- 16 Limiters (mono or stereo)
- 16 De-esser / AutoMix (mono*)
- 16 Delays, up to 320 ms (mono*)
- 32 Summing buses (mono* including PFL)
- 32 Minimixers (2 x 2 mixers for monitoring, stereo-to-mono, etc.)
- Internal tone generator
(*Stereo coupling possible)
- Programmable logic core (red light, fader start, broadcast button, talkback integration etc.)
- Integrated n-1/conference logic (2 independent systems)
- Interface for integration with radio automation systems (serial, TCP/IP)
- Networking via TCP/IP (Ember+)
- Wordclock input and internal generator
- Optional sync via MADI or slot 1 (AES3 or RAVENNA)
- 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz
- 4 Analog mic inputs (incl. bass cut, stereo coupling possible, also usable as line inputs)
- 4 Analog line inputs
- 8 Analog line outputs
- 2 Headphone outputs (stereo)
- 4 AES3 inputs (stereo) with sample rate converter (SRC)
- 4 AES3 outputs (stereo)
- GPIO (8 optocouplers, 8 silent cmos relays)
- Optional MADI extension with 4 ports (max. 256 mono channels)
- 2 slots for I/O extension
- 4 Analog mic in / 4 Analog line in
- 8 Analog line in / 8 Analog line out
- 4 AES3 in with SRC (stereo) / 4 AES3 out (stereo)
- HD/SD SDI embedder/de-embedder (4 x stereo)
- RAVENNA / AES67 Audio-over-IP
Configuration and Maintenance
- Software for system configuration and logic programming
- Integral web server for system diagnosis
- Dedicated SW tool for software updates
- Remote maintenance using VPN
- Software for the enhancement of the control surface, support of touchscreens
- Visualisation of DSP parameters, loudness, signal levels / states
- Additional functions and controls (e.g. timer, snapshots)
- Min. PC requirements: Intel i5 or higher (CPUBenchmark min. 1350 Points @ www.cpubenchmark.net/), min. 2GB RAM, Windows 7 or higher
- Several panel variants (19”/1 RU) with illuminated buttons, LCD-keys, potentiometers and GPIO
- Control of logic functions and level adjustment for e.g. conferences, talkback and monitoring
- Connection of up to 30 panels via CAN-Bus (opt. TCP/IP)
Subject to change without prior notice, no responsibility is taken for the correctness of the details provided.
Have a look at the new crystalCLEAR.
Michael Dosch, Director of Virtual Radio Projects, shows the features of this new product. More